SOMETHING I...

CookedMadeFilmedLoveFoundLearnedWrote

PIE OF THE WEEK

Friday, January 16, 2009

Battlestar Galactica Props Auction!

Today was a very exciting today. Not only do Battlestar Galactica fans finally get to geek out in union as the premiere of the final season of the series begins, if they were in the Pasadena area, they also got to view the props at the Pasadena Convention Center.


Battlestar Galactica Prop Auction
(15 seconds of the floor from my super old cell phone)

Upon entering the well-laid out floor of the East Pavillion, guests were greeted by attendents and security dressed in jumpsuits, uniforms, and other various costumes from the series. My jealousy nearly overwhelmed me - I saw one of my professors Azusa Pacific University (Tom Param) in a Viper uniform.

Everything from a full-fledged, functional (looking), lit-up Rapter to the boxing mouth guard of Starbuck was available for veiwing and bidding.

While the crowds were slimmer than I expected at lunch our today, all walks of life were present. Taking pictures behind the guard rail was Ronald Moore himself who, immediately after I had arrived, joined Michael Hogan to talk to a pair of girls explaining to Moore, "how different and un-sci-fi like Battlestar Galactica is!" I couldn't help but giggle at the attempts to justify their captivation with a science fiction (arguably science fiction and not sci-fi) television show.
An older Chinese woman with a wonderfully retro hair-do wondered the floor having her picture taken in front of the props. There was a familiar glow that gave away her nerdiness, but it was spread across a decidedly unexpected face. And then there were the folks who I would have loved to have lunch with- a group of middle-aged men, who alternated between glasses and pony-tails, comparing the mistakes of Babylon 5 to a potential catosrtrophic end to the Battlestar Galactica series... let's hope BSG does not meet a similar end...

Here are some pictures I took on a Nikon F70 I didn't know how to use... I will link to the better ones of Dan Portnoy, who attended with me and knew how to use his camera, a bit later:




Also... MICHAEL HOGAN! I WISH I HAD HAD THE GUTS TO ASK FOR A PICTURE WITH YOU!!!

1 comment:

Malachi Ward said...

Danica, is this still on display, or did Keiko and I miss it? If so, your a bad person for not telling us.

Just kidding, that's not why you're a bad person.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...