Raise you're hand if you've lived at sea level your whole life.
Just in case you fall into this category:
Definitions of snow on the Web:
- precipitation falling from clouds in the form of ice crystals
- a layer of snowflakes (white crystals of frozen water) covering the ground
- English writer of novels about moral dilemmas in academe (1905-1980)
- fall as snow; "It was snowing all night"
- coke: street names for cocaine
- bamboozle: conceal one's true motives from especially by elaborately feigning good intentions so as to gain an end; "He bamboozled his professors into thinking that he knew the subject well"
And here is the article I'm referring to:
Brrr! Arctic Blast Headed for SoCal
December 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES -- A rare 50 year Arctic blast is on it's way to Southern California according to weather forecasters.
Experts predict the cold weather pattern, which could extend from Alaska to San Diego, will arrive this weekend and send temperatures plummeting.
Freeze warnings are already in effect for the desert areas of Southern California, including the Antelope Valley.
OWSweather.com Meteorologist Kevin Martin predicts a 50 year event.
While Martin is usually conservative on these events, the pattern highly favors it.
"We are in a pre-1950 type pattern, "said Martin. "We know we are due for a winter storm sometime this year.
The type we may be dealing with will be ranked up there with the known years before 1950, which set record low daytime temperatures into the forecast region.
With this, may come low elevation snow."
Forecaster Cameron Venable is seeing very cold temperatures in the Los Angeles areas as well.
Torrance is not usually known for winter weather, thus making this an interesting event for Venable to track.
"Temperatures in Siberia, Russia will be -81 degrees this week, "said Martin. "With those type of temperatures the arctic air mass has to spill somewhere.
Our answer of the exact track will become more clear this week.
All residents in the mountain communities should prepare this week for very cold, winter weather, with snow."
Indications are a second, colder storm could hit near the 18th-22nd time-frame.
The details on that will have to be sorted out.